Courtesy: Doug Traver, MCR, CKBR – Traver Construction
Outdoor living is on the rise. School is almost in recess, this weekend we will celebrate Memorial Day and our Texas summer will be in full swing. Now is a great time to assess the use and look of your exterior spaces.
What improvements might enhance the overall function and curb appeal of y our property? While keeping the interior of your home updated is very essential, the exterior is an equally important part for maintaining value and desirability as well.
These 11 questions will help you evaluate your space:
1. Does your home have enough shaded area for family and guests to gather comfortably?
2. What about seating and eating space?
3. Do you have natural or mechanical ventilation to keep you cool and relaxed?
4. How about cooking facilities? A grilling area that’s safe yet protected with enough countertop area for all those burgers, hotdogs, steaks and grilled chicken?
5. Do you need other appliances such as refrigeration, beer and wine cooler, storage, etc?
6. If you have a pool does it need to be updated? Is it integrated well with your house via decks, walkways or architectural elements like an arbor or gazebo?
7. Is there convenient access to a bathroom?
8. If you don’t have a pool or the space for one, how about a spa?
9. And then there’s landscaping – is yours tired and outdated? Does it enrich your home or look like an afterthought?
10. Is the property well lighted at night? There is nothing more picturesque and even dramatic than a well-designed landscape lighting scheme that also provides additional security.
11. Finally, the front of your home – could it benefit from a color adjustment, materials change, or even an architectural transformation?
As you kick back this summer with y our favorite beverage, take a brief moment and ponder the outdoor improvement possibilities that could make your home more valuable, more attractive, and above all, more enjoyable.